Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Jones, Howard Mumford, 1892-1980.
Treasury of scientific prose.
Boston, Little, Brown 
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Howard Mumford Jones; I Bernard Cohen
|Description:||372 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Natural theology: Natural theology / William Paley --
The hand as evincing design / Charles Bell --
Argument in favor of design / Charles Babbage --
2. Astronomy: The Christian revelation viewed in connexion with the modern astronomy / Thomas Chalmers --
Outlines of astronomy / John Herschel --
3. The physical sciences: On the constitution of bodies / John Dalton --
On some new phenomena of chemical changes produced by electricity / Humphry Davy --
On the chemical history of a candle / Michael Faraday --
On matter, living force and heat / James Prescott Joule --
4. Geology: Illustrations of the Huttonian theory / John Playfair --
Methods of theorizing in geology / Charles Lyell --
5. Biology: Remarks on active molecules / Robert Brown --
Hypothesis of the development of the vegetable and animal kingdoms / Robert Chambers --
The anatomy and philosophy of expression as connected with the fine arts / Charles Bell --
6. Science: its organization and support: Objects and plans of the British Association for the Advancement of Science / William Vernon Harcourt --
Of the transformation of the hypotheses in the history of science / William Whewell --
7. The new age: On Faraday's lines of force / James Clerk Maxwell --
On the tendency of species to form varieties; and on the perpetuation of varieties and species by natural means of selection / Charles Robert Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace.
|Responsibility:||edited by Howard Mumford Jones and I. Bernard Cohen with the assistance of Everett Mendelsohn.|