Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||William Shakespeare; William Shakespeare; William Shakespeare; Maud Jeffries; Maud Jeffries; Herbert Beerbohm Tree, Sir; Herbert Beerbohm Tree, Sir|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Original artwork, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Visual material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Artist: Salmon became a full time illustrator for the Graphic in about 1901. He worked for most of the major black and white magazines of his day and is considered by Houfe to be 'one of the best pencil and chalk artists of the Edwardian period'.
History: According to the Folger case list this drawing was published in the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News, April 27, 1901. A copy of that magazine in the Folger collection proves the statement false, however it may have been done for the same magazine of an earlier date. The April 27 issue does contain a drawing by Salmon. The drawing was definitely reproduced as a note to the right of the drawing reads 'Note for engraver: Please cut out lights where marked with white ...' On back is written the date 16th Feb. 1901, possibly the date of issue of the magazine for which this drawing was executed.
Provenance: drawing was purchased by the Folgers from Henry Sotheran in 1905.
Subject: Drawing illustrates Tree's production of Twelfth Night which opened at Her Majesty's on Feb. 5, 1901. Joseph Harker was responsible for the design of the scenery and Lily Brayton was enlisted in the role of Viola. The Library has another drawing of the same scene by a different artist, Townsend (ART Box T747 no.14) and another of the same production by S. Begg (listed in Case 148, not found in collection, possibly sold).
This record contains unverifiable data from old cards and may contain incorrect or incomplete text. Please consult Curator for assistance.
Title taken from note under drawing which contines 'Act 11 Sc. II Malvolio - Mr. Tree Olivia - Miss Maud Jeffries'. The scene is in Olivia's garden and Malvolio is portrayed bowing to Olivia. Folger copy is signed 'Balliol Salmon 1901'.
|Description:||1 drawing : pencil and chalk ; support: 25 x 20 in. ; image: 17 3/4 x 12 in.|
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616, -- Twelfth night -- Act II. -- Scene 2.
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Characters -- Malvolio,
- Malvolio (Fictitious character),
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Characters -- Olivia,
- Olivia (Fictitious character : Shakespeare),
- Jeffries, Maud, -- 1869-1946 -- Performances,
- Jeffries, Maud, -- 1869-1946,
- Tree, Herbert Beerbohm, -- Sir, -- 1852-1917 -- Performances,
- Tree, Herbert Beerbohm, -- Sir, -- 1852-1917,
- Her Majesty's Theatre (London, England),
- Actors -- 20th century,
- Theaters -- England -- London,
- London (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.,