Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
P R Baehr; Leon Gordenker; Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Center of International Studies.
|ISBN:||0312081030 9780312081034 0312083777 9780312083779|
|Notes:||"Written under the auspices of the Center of International Studies, Princeton University."|
|Description:||xiv, 202 pages ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||1. Introduction. Independent States. Interdependent Societies. International Law. Reforming World Politics. Conferences and Decisions. Functional Cooperation in the Nineteenth Century. The Concert of Europe. The Hague Peace Conferences. The League of Nations. The Second World War and the UN. The San Francisco Conference --
2. Charter and Structure of the United Nations. Close Relatives. The General Assembly. The Security Council. The Economic and Social Council. The Trusteeship Council. The International Court of Justice. The Secretariat. Cluster of UN Agencies. Organizational Tension --
3. Membership and Decision-making. Chinese Representation. Divided States. Switzerland and Neutrality. Ministates. Weighted Voting. Decision-Making Processes. Fundamental Changes. Voting Groups. Groups and Voting Positions. The Political Significance of Resolutions. Slow Decision-Making. Finances --
4. The Maintenance of Peace and Security. Coercive Measures to Maintain Peace. Korea. Kuwait. 'Uniting for Peace'. UN Peace-keeping Forces. The UN Emergency Force. ONUC. Other Peace-keeping Cases. Negotiations and Conciliatory Methods. Limits and Potentials of Peace-keeping. Arms Control and Disarmament. Conclusions --
5. Human Rights. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The International Covenants on Human Rights. Other Human Rights Activities. Apartheid. Conclusions --
6. From Colonialism to Independence. Declaration on Non-self-governing Territories. The Trusteeship System. Declaration on Granting of Independence. The Special Committee on Decolonization. Namibia. The Imposition of Economic Sanctions. Remaining Colonial Issues. Conclusions --
7. Cooperation for Economic and Social Progress. Global Conferences. Economic and Social Data. Economic Development and Reduction of Poverty. Technical Assistance. UN Population Fund. UN Capital Development Fund (UNCDF). UN Volunteers. UN Children's Fund (UNICEF). UN Conference on Trade and Development. New International Economic Order. The Global Environment. Refugees and Disasters. Narcotics Drug Control. AIDS. Conventional Economic, Social, and Cultural Cooperation --
8. Conclusion: Realities and Ideals. The Soviet Union. The Five Policemen. The Third World. The United States. Collective Legitimization. The Secretary-General. The Specialized Agencies. The UN in the 1990s --
Appendix: Charter of the United Nations.
|Responsibility:||Peter R. Baehr and Leon Gordenker.|