Find a copy in the library
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Barbara Seaman; Laura Eldridge
|ISBN:||9781609804442 1609804449 9781609804466 1609804465 9781609803490 1609803493 9781583228449 1583228446|
|Description:||2 volumes : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||V.I. 1. In the beginning : Witches, midwives, and nurses: a history of women healers / Barbara Ehrenreich, Deirdre English ; Out of conflict comes strength and healing: women's health movements / Helen I. Marieskind ; Medicine and morality in the nineteenth century / Kristin Luker ; Ain't I a woman? / Sojourner Truth, On motherhood / Elizabeth Cady Stanton ; Why Elizabeth isn't on your silver dollar / Barbara Seaman ; Sylvia Bernstein Seaman (1900-95) / Karen Bekker ; Fanny Burney's Letter to her sister, 1812, describing her mastectomy in September of 1811 / Fanny Burney ; Women's health and government regulation: 1820-1949 / Suzanne White Junod ; A My name is Alice / Jennifer Baumgardner --
2. Taking our bodies back: the women's health movement : The role of advocacy groups in research on women's health / Barbara Seaman, Susan F. Wood ; Inside and out: two stories of the rumblings beneath the quiet / compiled by Suzanne Clores ; Women's health and government regulation: 1950-1980 / Suzanne White Junod ; Sisterhood / Gloria Steinem ; Dear injurious physician / Barbara Seaman ; The ultimate revolution / Shulamith Firestone ; Our Bodies, Ourselves: remembering the dignity / edited by Mei Hwei Astella Saw, Sarah J. Shey ; Looking back on Our Bodies, Ourselves / edited by Joanna Perlman, Sarah J. Shey, The Boston Women's Health Book Collective and Our Bodies, Ourselves ; Alice Wolfson / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; Belita Cowan / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; A mother's story / Helen Rodriguez-Trias ; Helen Rodriguez-Trias / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; A Is for activism / Byllye Avery ; Byllye Avery / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; The Female Eunuch / Germaine Greer ; The Hite Report on Shere Hite: voice of a daughter in exile / Shere Hite ; In defense of Shere Hite / Sarah J. Shey ; Susan Brownmiller: memoir of a revolutionary / Carrie Carmichael ; A mother's story / Patsy Mink ; DES litigation / Sybil Shainwald --
3. Birth control : In the matter of Rosemarie Lewis: women and the corporatization of contraception / Andrea Tone ; Racism, birth control, and reproductive rights / Angela Y. Davis ; Informed consent / Elizabeth Siegel Watkins ; Julie Is not a statistic / Barbara Seaman ; Philip Corfman / intreview by Tania Ketenjian ; A pill for men / Barbara Seaman ; Norplant: the contraception you're stuck with / Barbara Seaman ; Cycles of hot and cold: trying to learn fertility awareness in North America / Katie Singer --
4. Menstruation : If men could menstruate / Gloria Steinem ; The selling of premenstrual syndrome / Andrea Eagan ; No more T.O.M. / Sara Germain --
5. Pregnancy and birthing : Childbirth in America / edited by Victoria Eng, Sonia Lander ; The cultural warping of childbirth / Doris Haire ; Motherhood / Letty Cottin Pogrebin ; In which a sensible woman persuades her doctor, her family, and her friends to help her give birth at home / Barbara Katz Rothman ; How late can you wait to have a baby? / Barbara Seaman ; How science is redefining parenthood / Barbara Katz Rothman ; Having Anne / Laura Yeager ; Preface to With Child / Ariel Chesler ; Misconceptions / Gena Corea ; Determination / Barbara Katz Rothman ; Patenting life: are genes objects of commerce? / Barbara Katz Rothman, Ruth Hubbard ; Geriatric obstetrics: oh, baby! / Carrie Carmichael ; Bold type: childbirth Is powerful / Barbara Findlen ; Arlene Eisenberg / interview byTania Ketenjian ; Lives: when one is enough / Amy Richards ; Hate mail / Amy Richards ; Love, mom: a mother's journey from loss to hope / Cynthia Baseman ; Is this any way to have a baby? / Barbara Seaman --
6. Motherhood : Yes, we have no bambinos / Molly Haskell ; Dr. Spock's advice to new mothers / Alix Kates Shulman ; Lovely me / Barbara Seaman ; My mother's death: thoughts on being a separate person / Judith Rossner ; Take the blame off mother / Paula J. Caplan ; The madonna's tears for a crack in my heart / Audrey Flack ; Breastfeeding revisited / Margot Slade ; Moms in dark about OTC drugs, survey shows / Frances Cerra Whittelsey ; The baby contract / Susan Jordan ; Monster mommies / Erica Jong ; They came to stay / Marjorie Margolies, Ruth Gruber ; An adopted daughter meets her natural mother / Betty Jean Lifton ; What do you love about being a lesbian mom? / Catherine Gund ; On becoming a grandmother / Francine Klagsbrun --
7. Menopause and aging : Flashback: a history of menopause / Laura Eldridge ; The changing years / Madeline Gray ; Promise her anything, but give her ... cancer: the selling of ERT / Barbara Seaman ; Exploding the estrogen myth / Barbara Seaman ; The bitter pill / Leora Tanenbaum ; A friend indeed: the grandmother of menopause newsletters / Sari Tudiver ; The truth about hormone replacement therapy: how to break free from the medical myths of menopause / National Women's Health Network ; On aging / Joan Ditzion --
8. Gynecological surgery : Needless hysterectomies / Marcia Cohen ; So, you're going to have a new body! / Lynne Sharon Schwartz ; Keeping all your eggs in one basket / Barbara Seaman --
9. Abortion : I am Roe / Norma McCorvey ; The Jane collective / Pauline Bart ; The abortion / Alix Kates Shulman ; Starting the New York Abortion Access Fund: grassroots activism on abortion rights, from vision to reality / Irene Xanthoudakis, Lauren Porsch --
10. Lesbian, bisexual, and transgender health : Sappho was a right-on woman / Sidney Abbott, Barbara Love ; Putting lesbian health in focus / Vivien Labaton ; Lesbian health gains long due attention from Institute of Medicine / Amy Allina ; Look both ways / Jennifer Baumgardner ; Women's health/transgender health: intersections / Lauren Porsch --
11. Gender and medicine: why would a girl go into medicine? / Margaret A. Campbell ; A woman in residence / Michelle Harrison ; Venus and the doctor / Betty Rothbart ; Woman doctor / Florence Haseltine, Yvonne Yaw ; Essays on women / Edith Stein, Susan Wood / interview by Meghan Buckley. V. II. 12. Sex : Parlor massages / Leora Tannenbaum ; The sexual revolution wasn't our war / Anselma Dell'Olio ; The liberated orgasm / Barbara Seaman ; The sexuality questionnaire / Shere Hite ; Shere Hite debunks Freud's vaginal orgasm / Sarah J. Shey ; A new view of women's sexual problems / The Working Group on a New View of Women's Sexual Problems ; Boys, girls, men, and women: variables of experiences / Rebecca Plante ; Sex is not a natural act / Leonore Tiefer ; The rise of Viagra: how the little blue pill changed sex in America / Meika Loe ; Slut! Growing up female with a bad reputation / Leora Tanenbaum ; "Tell me more, tell me more": young women's locker room talk as a boomer-feminist legacy / Paula Kamen --
13. Self-help gynecology : Self-help gynecology / edited by Kofi Taha ; Carol Downer's history-bearing: brushes with the law / Gena Corea ; Empowering the pelvic exam / Lila A. Wallace ; Self-helpless gynecology / Caedmon Magboo Cahill ; The bridal shower: we haven't come a long way baby / Betty Dodson --
14. Mind and body: psychology and women : Psychology constructs the female / Naomi Weisstein ; Demeter revisited / Phyllis Chesler ; Dominants / Jean Baker Miller ; Mental patients' political action committee / Ellen Frankfort ; An iterview with Jules Masserman / Kathryn Watterson ; Lineal victims / Phyllis L. Fine ; Airless spaces / Shulamith Firestone ; Catfight / Leora Tanenbaum ; Women and madness: a feminist diagnosis / Phyllis Chesler ; Maud / Nell Casey ; Addiction by prescription: women and the problem of tranqullizers / Andrea Tone ; Women and drug addiction / Stephen R. Kandell ; Silver hills / Erica Warren --
15. Rape and violence against women : Against our will: men, women, and rape / Susan Brownmiller ; Rape doesn't end with a kiss / Pauline Bart ; Rape in great art / Audrey Flack ; Working to end sexual violence on college campuses / Helen Lowery, Nicole Levitz ; Trauma and recovery / Judith Herman ; How to befriend a battered woman / Barbara Seaman, Leslye E. Orloff ; Fifty ways not to leave an abusive spouse / Elaine Weiss ; Out of control / Norma Fox Mazer ; Our guys / Bernard Lefkowitz ; The campaign to free Charline / Jennifer Gonnerman ; Surviving intimate terrorism / Hedda Nussbaum --
16. Women in sports : Women in motion / Lucinda Franks ; The athletic triad: a dangerous triangle / Lila A. Wallis ; Patsy Mink on Title IX / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; Why feminists are in such good shape / Amelia Richards --
17. Body image : Fat is a feminist issue / Susie Orbach ; Such a pretty face: being fat in America / Marcia Millman ; The beauty myth / Naomi Wolf ; Sacrificing ourselves for love / Jane Wegscheider Hyman, Esther R. Rome --!8. Body parts : Aging (balm for a 27th birthday) / Erica Jong ; The no-nonsense approach to cleaning your face / Deborah Chase ; Susan Brownmiller on appearance and makup / Carrie Carmichael ; Body hair: the last frontier / Harriet Lyons, Rebecca Rosenblatt ; All hair the conquering heroine / Lois Gould ; Femininity / Susan Brownmiller, Carrie Carmichael ; Memoirs of (sorta) ex-shaver / Carolyn Mackler ; Browbeating / Hagar Scher ; Dreading it ... or how I learned to stop fighting my hair and love my nappy roots / Veronica Chambers ; The anatomy of your breasts / Marvin S. Eiger, Sally Wendkos Olds ; The bra story / Lori Barer ; Breast reduction / Marta Drury ; Breakthrough against female genital mutilation / Noy Thrupkaew --
19. Sexually transmitted infections : Charity girl / Michael Lowenthal ; Sexually transmitted diseases on college campuses / Lori Barer ; A circle of women / Tara Greenway ; And for breast-feeding, too, the band played on / Edith White ; Midlife and older women living with HIV/AIDS / Jane P. Fowler ; Breaking the walls of silence: AIDS and women in a maximum state prison / AIDS Counselling and Education Program, Bedford Hills Correctional Facility ; Women's health care in prison / Cassandra Shaylor --
20. Chronic illness : The oral history of Rose Kushner / interview by Anne S. Kasper ; Dr. Susan Love / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; Stolen conflicts: a feminist revisioning / Sharon Batt ; Fighting the "war" on breast cancer: how a metaphor has shaped the debate on early detection and treatment / Barron H. Lerner ; Anne S. Kasper / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; Women's hearts at risk / Charlotte Libov ; The myth of osteoporosis / Gillian Sanson --
21. Informed consent, conflict of interest, and pharmaceutical companies : The amazing story of DES / Barbara Seaman, Gideon Seaman ; It's only once around the merry-go-round / Margot Adler ; How do you know it's true? / Victor Cohn ; Diana Petotti, MD / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; A different prescription / Anne Rochon Ford ; Should prescription drugs be advertised? / Michael Castleman, Maryann Napoli ; The American Cancer Society: the world's wealthiest "nonprofit" institution / Sam Epstein --
22. End of life issues : Out of pain and anger / Marilyn Webb ; Good mourning, America / Amy Pagnozzi ; Dying into grace: mother and daughter ... a dance of healing / Artemis March --
23. Women's health, moving forward : Changing concepts of women's health: advocating for change /Julia Scott --
The whole woman / Germaine Greer ; Women's health and government regulation: 1950-1980 / Suzanne White Junod ; Map of the women's health movement / Sheryl Burt Ruzek ; Cindy Pearson / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; On young feminism / Sunny Daly ; Our bodies, our voices, our choices / National Black Women's Health Project ; Patsy Mink on health issues for Asian women / interview by Tania Ketenjian ; Charon Asetoyer / interview by Tania Ketenjian.
|Responsibility:||[edited by] Barbara Seaman ; with Laura Eldridge.|
An unprecedented and definitive collection of rabble-rousing writings on women's health, Voices of the Women's Health Movement explores a range of provocative topics from reproductive rights to sexuality to motherhood. Trail-blazing advocate Barbara Seaman and health activist Laura Eldridge bring the revolutionary ideas of several generations together in this powerful new book celebrating women's bodies, and women's voices. The more than two hundred contributors include Jennifer Baumgardner, Susan Brownmiller, Phyllis Chesler, Angela Y. Davis, Barbara Ehrenreich, Germaine Greer, Shulamith Firestone, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Erica Jong, Molly Haskell, Shere Hite, Susie Orbach, Judith Rossner, Alix Kates Shulman, Gloria Steinem, Sojourner Truth, Rebecca Walker, Naomi Wolf, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and many others. With Voices of the Women's Health Movement, for the first time, every woman and girl can experience in one place the powerful history of stirring words and strong female perspectives that have inspired countless women to take control of their health and their lives.
- Women -- Health and hygiene.
- Women -- Health and hygiene -- History.
- Women's Health -- United States -- Collected Works.
- Feminism -- United States -- Collected Works.
- Feminism -- United States -- History -- Collected Works.
- History, 19th Century -- United States -- Collected Works.
- History, 20th Century -- United States -- Collected Works.
- Women's Health -- United States -- History -- Collected Works.
- Women's Rights -- United States -- Collected Works.
- Women's Rights -- United States -- History -- Collected Works.