Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Walter Wanger; Walter Wanger; Walter Wanger; Walter Wanger; Wanger, Walter <1894-1968>; Walter Wanger|
|Material Type:||Biography, Government publication, State or province government publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||xx, 464 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
He produced a spate of American film classics, including Queen Christina with Greta Garbo, John Ford's Stagecoach, Alfred Hitchcock's Foreign Correspondent, Fritz Lang's Scarlet Street, and Don Siegel's Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Wanger's influence and his astute skills as a producer have received remarkably little attention, and, as Matthew Bernstein demonstrates in this insightful and engaging biography, the producer's life was fraught with contradictions and conflicts. A Dartmouth graduate, he rose to prominence at a time when articulate, college-educated producers were unknown. Although he touted the social value of the cinema, most of his own sixty-five films were markedly devoid of such value. And despite his surface appearance as a self-righteous rebel who railed at the strictures of the system, Wanger was fundamentally a satisfied representative of the American film industry.
- Wanger, Walter, -- 1894-1968.
- Motion picture producers and directors -- United States -- Biography.
- Producteurs et réalisateurs de cinéma -- États-Unis -- Biographies.
- Motion picture producers and directors.
- United States.
- Wanger, Walter.
- Cinema -- Films (Motion pictures) -- Production (Arts)
- United States
- Wanger, Walter <1894-1968>
- Producteurs et réalisateurs de cinéma - États-Unis - Biographies.