Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Newbery Medal: Honor Book
Dust jackets (Bindings)
|Material Type:||Elementary and junior high school, Fiction|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Kimberly Brubaker Bradley; Josie Portillo; Dial Books for Young Readers,
|Notes:||Bookjacket illustrator: Josie Portillo.|
|Awards:||Newbery Honor Book, 2016
Schneider Family Book Award for Middle School, 2016
|Description:||316 pages ; 22 cm|
|Responsibility:||by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley.|
"Nine-year-old Ada has never left her one-room apartment. Her mother is too humiliated by Ada's twisted foot to let her outside. So when her little brother Jamie is shipped out of London to escape the war, Ada doesn't waste a minute--she sneaks out to join him. So begins a new adventure of Ada, and for Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to take the two kids in. As Ada teaches herself to ride a pony, learns to read, and watches for German spies, she begins to trust Susan--and Susan begins to love Ada and Jamie. But in the end, will their bond be enough to hold them together through wartime? Or will Ada and her brother fall back into the cruel hands of their mother?" -- Publisher's description
- Abusive parents.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Evacuation of civilians -- Great Britain -- Juvenile fiction.
- Children with disabilities -- Juvenile fiction.
- Brothers and sisters -- Juvenile fiction.
- Abusive parents -- Juvenile fiction.
- Great Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952 -- Juvenile fiction.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Evacuation of civilians -- Fiction.
- People with disabilities -- Fiction.
- Brothers and sisters -- Fiction.
- Great Britain -- History -- George VI, 1936-1952 -- Fiction.
- Brothers and sisters.
- Children with disabilities.
- Great Britain.
- Newbery Honor Book, 2016.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Evacuation of civilians -- Great Britain -- Fiction.
- Siblings -- Fiction.
- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century -- Fiction.
- Great Britain -- History -- 1945-1952 -- Fiction.
User lists with this item (20)
- Newbery Honor Books(153 items)
by dordtlibrary updated about 2 days ago
- Schneider Family Book Award(41 items)
by dordtlibrary updated about 2 weeks ago
- Historical Fiction(56 items)
by firstname.lastname@example.org updated about 3 weeks ago
- World War II(77 items)
by email@example.com updated 2016-11-30
- Children's Book Awards 2016(21 items)
by firstname.lastname@example.org updated 2016-11-14