Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Baylis John Earle; John L Manning; Wade Hampton; George Herbert Sass; John Y Stock; J E McPherson Washington; Martha Washington; Theodosia Narcissa McPherson Washington; William Washington; John Lyde Wilson; Washington family.|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
The papers of William Washington's son, J.E. McPherson Washington, include letters to his mother and sister, an autograph album he kept at the University of Virginia in 1855-1856, and a diary (1856) begun at the University of Virginia and continued in Charleston concerning student life, weather, and other matters. The journal also contains many directions for needlework in a different handwriting. The letters begin with his dismissal from West Point (1855) and continue through his early business career and social life in Charleston (1856-1858). They conclude with letters written by Washington while serving as a lieutenant in the Confederate Army at Fort Johnson, S.C. and later in Virginia. There are several letters from fellow officers attesting to his gallantry and popularity.
The collection also includes a return (ca. 1790s?) of Capt. James McPherson's Troop of Horse in the 20th Regiment, S.C. Militia; letters to William Washington's daughter, Martha Washington, from Wade Hampton (1818-1902), John L. Manning (1816-1889), George Herbert Sass (1845-1908), and others; miscellaneous poems, some by George Herbert Sass; and notes on the family.
- Earle, Baylis John, -- 1795-1844 -- Impeachment.
- Manning, John L. -- (John Lawrence), -- 1816-1889.
- Hampton, Wade, -- 1818-1902.
- Sass, George Herbert, -- 1845-1908.
- Stock, John Y., -- 1809-1876.
- Washington, J. E. McPherson.
- Washington, Martha, -- fl. 1860s.
- Washington, Theodosia Narcissa McPherson, -- 1817-1898.
- Washington, William, -- 1810-1849.
- Wilson, John Lyde, -- 1784-1849.
- Washington family.
- Fort Johnson (S.C.)
- South Carolina. -- Militia. -- Regiment, 20th.
- United States Military Academy.
- University of Virginia -- Students.
- Impeachment -- South Carolina.
- Students -- Virginia.
- Charleston (S.C.) -- Climate -- Observations.
- Charleston (S.C.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources.
- Charleston (S.C.) -- Social life and customs.
- South Carolina -- History -- Sources.
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1775-1865.
- Virginia -- Climate -- Observations.
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources.