|类型/形式：||Criticism, interpretation, etc
Bowden, Mary Weatherspoon.
Boston : Twayne Publishers, 1981
|提及的人：||Washington Irving; Washington Irving; Washington Irving|
Mary Weatherspoon Bowden
|描述：||201 pages : portrait ; 21 cm.|
|内容：||Early Works --
Early European Works --
Later European Works --
Return to America --
|丛书名：||Twayne's United States authors series, TUSAS 379.|
|责任：||by Mary Weatherspoon Bowden.|
It is the intention of this work to show that all Irving's books are readable today, that many are worth reading, and that a few demand reading and rereading. It is also its intent to demonstrate that Irving was not a short-story writer, but a composer of books: thus, a story in one of his books is more than that story alone, for it gains meaning from what came before and gives meaning to what will follow. I have prefaced each chapter with a short biographical sketch of Irving during the time of the composition of the works discussed. - Preface.
- Irving, Washington, -- 1783-1859 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Travelers' writings, American -- History and criticism.
- Fantasy fiction, American -- History and criticism.
- Hudson River Valley (N.Y. and N.J.) -- In literature.
- Travel writing -- History -- 19th century.
- Irving, Washington.
- Fantasy fiction, American -- History and criticism
- Hudson River Valley (N.Y. and N.J.) -- In literature
- Irving, Washington -- Criticism and interpretation
- Travel writing -- History -- 19th century
- Travelers' writings, American -- History and criticism
- Irving, Washington, -- 1783-1859.
- Fantasy fiction, American.
- Travel writing.
- Travelers' writings, American.
- United States -- Hudson River Valley.