Henry David Thoreau; Robert F Sayre
|描述：||1114 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm.|
|内容：||A week on the Concord and Merrimack rivers ----
Walden; or, life in the woods ----
The Maine woods ----
|叢書名：||Library of America, 28.|
|其他題名：||Week on the Concord and Merrimack rivers.
|責任：||Henry David Thoreau ; Robert F. Sayre, editor.|
Henry David Thoreau wrote four full-length works, collected here in a single volume. Interweaving natural observation, personal experience, and historical lore, they reveal his brilliance not only as a writer, but as a naturalist, scholar, historian, poet, and philosopher. "A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers" is based on a boat trip taken with his brother from Concord, Massachusetts to Concord, New Hampshire. "Walden" is at once a personal declaration of independence, social experiment, voyage of spiritual discovery, manual of self-reliance, and masterpiece of style. "The Maine Woods" and "Cape Cod" portray landscapes changing irreversibly even as he wrote. The first combines close observation of the unexplored Maine wilderness with a far-sighted plea for conservation; the second is a brilliant and unsentimental account of survival on a barren peninsula in the face of hostile elements, historical change, and natural decay.
- Concord River (Mass.) -- Description and travel.
- Merrimack River (N.H. and Mass.) -- Description and travel.
- Massachusetts -- Concord River.
- United States -- Merrimack River.
- Natural history -- New England.
- Walden Woods (Mass.) -- Social life and customs.
- Piscataquis County (Me.) -- Description and travel.
- Cape Cod (Mass.) -- Description and travel.