Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0631186980 9780631186984 0631186999 9780631186991|
|Description:||228 p. ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||1. The origins of the Republic --
2. The constitution and the peace treaty --
3. Via the Kapp putsch to the first Reichstag elections --
4. Reparations, inflation, terrorism --
5. From the battle of the Ruhr to the stabilization of the mark --
6. The Dawes Plan and the presidential election --
7. The policy of the bourgeois bloc --
8. The grand coalition and the Young Plan --
9. Bruning's government --
10. Via Papen and Schleicher to Hitler.
|Other Titles:||Republik von Weimar.|
|Responsibility:||Helmut Heiber ; translated by W.E. Yuill.|
The 1920s in Germany were a period of intense activity: political parties of all complexions intrigued and campaigned - often, at the extremes of left and right, violently; artistic and intellectual endeavour flourished. Political instability was exacerbated by hyperinflation, and social uncertainty fuelled by national shame at the loss of empire and by the humiliating reparations imposed by the Treaty of Versailles.
It is here that convention seeks the origins - even the justification - of the Nazi regime.
In this clear and vivid narrative, Helmut Heiber cuts through accepted ideas to offer a provocative account of this most extraordinary and puzzling period of European history.
Throwing new light on the vexing problems of hyperinflation, national apathy, economic collapse and political disorder, he provides a searching analysis of why the German people should have tolerated and largely embraced the pagan, racialist and anti-democratic ideology inculcated and ruthlessly enforced by Hitler's National Socialists.
- Germany -- History -- 1918-1933.
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1918-1933.
- Germany -- Economic policy -- 1918-1933.
- Germany -- History, 1918-1933
- Allemagne -- Histoire -- 1918-1933.
- Allemagne -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1918-1933.
- Allemagne -- Politique économique.
- Economic policy.
- Political science.