|ISBN:||0679756760 9780679756767 0679756965 9780679756965|
|注意：||Continued by: Almost a woman.
Originally published: New York : Addison-Wesley, 1993.
|描述：||274 pages ; 21 cm|
|内容：||Prologue: how to eat a guava --
Fighting naked --
Someone is coming to take your lap --
American invasion of Macun --
Why women remain jamona --
Mami gets a job --
Letters from New York --
Casi Señorita --
Dreams of a better life --
Angels on the ceiling --
You don't want to know --
Shot at it --
Epilogue: one of these days.
[The author's] story begins in rural Puerto Rico, where her warring parents and seven siblings led a life of uproar, but one full of love and tenderness as well. Growing up, Esmeralda learned the proper way to eat a guava, the sound of the tree frogs in the mango groves at night, the taste of the delectable sausage called morcilla, and the formula for ushering a dead baby's soul to heaven. But just when Esmeralda seemed to have learned everything, she was taken to New York City, where the rules - and the language - were bewilderingly different. How Esmeralda overcame adversity, won acceptance to New York City's High School of Performing Arts, and then went on to Harvard, where she graduated with highest honors, is a record of a tremendous journey by a truly remarkable woman.-BooksInPrint.
- Santiago, Esmeralda -- Childhood and youth.
- Puerto Ricans -- New York (State) -- New York -- Biography.
- Puerto Rico -- Biography.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Biography.
- History, American + Canadian(191 資料)
由 robwithers 已更新 大約3天前
- CRC Holdings: Books: Chicanos/Latinos(124 資料)
由 CSUF_CRC 已更新 大約兩週前
- CRC Holdings: Books: Literature: Fiction, Plays, Poetry & film criticism(112 資料)
由 CSUF_CRC 已更新 大約一個月前
- Latino/Hispanic Heritage Month(125 資料)
由 askgrafton 已更新 2015-09-17
- Hispanic American Heritage(42 資料)
由 denisebrown 已更新 2015-08-26