Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Gary Strankman; Walter R Echo-Hawk; Francis P McManamon; Jace Weaver; Gerald Robert Vizenor; Karen Biestman; University of California (System). Regents.
|Performer(s):||Panel: Gary Strankman (moderator), Walter Echohawk, Frank McManamon, Jace Weaver, Gerald Vizenor, Karen Biestman (Discussant).|
|Production notes:||Conference held at the University of California, Berkeley, International House, September 20-23, 2000.|
|Description:||1 videocassette (180 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.|
|Contents:||Native American remains and human rights / Walter Echohawk --
Human remains and NAGPRA: responsibilities and requirements / Frank McManamon --
Native and other bodies: addressing NAGPRA / Jace Weaver --
Bone courts and Native American sovereignty / Gerald Vizenor.
|Other Titles:||Native American remains and human rights.
Human remains and NAGPRA: responsibilities and requirements.
Native and other bodies: addressing NAGPRA.
Bone courts and Native American sovereignty.
Native American Indian repatriation.
Native American Indian human rights: theft, possession and repatriation of native remains
Theft, possession and repatriation of native remains
Who owns the body conference 9/22/00, Panel 1
|Responsibility:||Regents of the University of California.|
Human remains and NAGPRA: The Chief Archaeologist of the National Park Service explains the procedures and requirements of NAGPRA that requires the repatriation of Native American human remains and other cultural objects in public museum collections and those recovered from federal lands.
Native and other bodies: Addresses the track record of NAGPRA and also looks at objects other than human remains as a kind of "cultural body," thus looking at NAGPRA as an internally consistent whole.
Bone courts and Native American sovereignty: Considers a proposal to establish a Bone Court -- a new federal judicial forum to hear and decide disputes over museum collections of human remains, repatriation, burial sites, research on bones and to protect native sovereignty.
- United States. -- Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act.
- Robert H. Lowie Museum of Anthropology.
- Human body -- Moral and ethical aspects -- Congresses.
- Human body -- Law and legislation -- Congresses.
- Human rights -- Congresses.
- Human remains (Archaeology) -- Government policy -- United States -- Congresses.
- Cultural property -- Repatriation -- United States -- Congresses.
- Indians of North America -- Antiquities -- Government policy -- Congresses.
- Indians of North America -- Antiquities -- Law and legislation -- Congresses.
- Indians of North America -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- Congresses.
- Indians of North America -- Government relations -- 1934- -- Congresses.