Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Vivian Bruce Conger
|Description:||xi, 244 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Introduction: "Lay In A Stock Of Graces Against The Evil Day Of Widowhood" --
1. "Though She Were Yong, Yet She Did Not Affect a Second Marriage": The Cultural Community and Widow Remarriage --
2. "Prosperity & Peace May Alwais Him Attend That to the Widdow Prove Himselfe a Friend": Widows and the Law --
3. "To the Tenderness of a Mother Add the Care and Conduct of a Father": Widows and the Household --
4. "Tho She No More Increase One Family, She May Support Many": Neighborly Widows --
5. "Through Industry and Care Acquired Some Estate of My Own ... Much Advanced the Same": Widows in the Economic Community --
Conclusion: "Witnesses to a Will of Madam Toys."
|Responsibility:||Vivian Bruce Conger.|
"This richly researched and well written study challenges older, static notions of gender roles in the family and establishes the critical role of widows in the developing colonial economy. Legal