Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Cannon family.; Sylvanus B Lowry; Mitchell family.; Swisshelm family.; Jane Grey Swisshelm; Whittlesey family.|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
William Bell Mitchell; Susan B Anthony; J T Averill; Amelia Jenks Bloomer; Henry Clay Burbank; David M Clough; Solomon Gilman Comstock; Ignatius Donnelly; Mark H Dunnell; John Charles Frémont; James J Hill; Herbert Hoover; George Hackett Keith; Anne Morrow Lindbergh; Samuel James Renwick McMillan; Stephen Miller; Henry Z Mitchell; J S Pillsbury; Alexander Ramsey; Jasper Newton Searles; Jane Grey Swisshelm; Frances E Willard; William Windom
|Description:||2.0 cubic feet (2 boxes, 8 oversize items in partial box, and 2 items in reserve).|
The papers include letters (1856-1857) by his father, Henry Z., an early St. Cloud settler, on social and economic conditions, land speculation, settlement, and pioneer life there, as well as his reports and accounts (1860s) as St. Cloud postmaster.
There are letters, land records, and legal papers of the related Mitchell, Swisshelm, and Cannon families, providing data on St. Cloud business and civic affairs and on the activities of family members (1806-1929); correspondence of Mitchell's aunt, Jane Grey Swisshelm (1860s-1880s), a well-known abolitionist journalist; and papers relating to her work on the St. Cloud Democrat (1860s-1870s) and to her autobiography entitled Half a Century (Chicago, 1880).
Present too is William's correspondence with Minnesota political leaders (1860s-1900s) concerning state politics, his appointments as receiver for the U.S. land office (1864-1865, 1878-1885) and various state offices; and papers dealing with his editorial career (1870s-1890s).
- Cannon family.
- Lowry, Sylvanus B., -- -1865.
- Mitchell family.
- Swisshelm family.
- Swisshelm, Jane Grey, -- 1815-1884. -- Half a century.
- Whittlesey family.
- Campbell, Burbank & Co.
- Central Hungarian Committee (New York, N.Y.)
- James M. Davis and Co., Reliance Boat Line (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Minnesota. -- State Normal School (Saint Cloud)
- National Association for the Relief of Destitute Colored Women and Children (Washington, D.C.)
- Pearson Boat Construction Company (Duluth, Minn.)
- St. Cloud Democrat.
- St. Cloud journal.
- St. Cloud journal-press.
- Business enterprises -- Minnesota -- Saint Cloud -- Letterheads.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Minnesota.
- Postal service -- Minnesota -- Saint Cloud.
- Real estate business.
- Townsite law.
- Women's rights.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- Minnesota -- Economic conditions.
- Minnesota -- Newspapers.
- Minnesota -- Politics and government.
- Minnesota -- Social life and customs.
- Saint Cloud (Minn.) -- Newspapers.
- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs.
- Saint Cloud (Minn.)
- Sauk River Valley (Minn.)