Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Personal narratives, Confederate
|Named Person:||William Fuller Jewson; Jewson family.|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
William Fuller Jewson
Letter, 24 Mar. 1863, denying Jewson's application for transfer from Company L, 1st South Carolina Volunteers to serve upon the Confederate steamer Stono, and letter, 23 Apr. 1864, Richmond, Va. requesting a twenty day furlough.
Majority of letters relate to Jewson's plans to attend the 50th anniversary celebration of the Battle of Gettysburg; letter, 2 June 1913, Mankato, Minnesota, to Gen. L.A. Grant, President, Gettysburg Celebration Committee, Minneapolis, Minn., stating "I have lived in Mankato nearly forty years ... it is also my wish to remain with the Minnesota Delegation and be assigned with them ... Minnesota is my home and my State by adoption, and I thank God that the armor of peace is to supplant the armament of strife."
Genealogical information re Jewson's immediate family recorded in letter, 11 Oct. 1909, from "Annie," his sister.
WorldCat User Reviews (1)
Possible Invaluable Information!
I have been searching for information on my Great-Grandfather for years, especially his time in the Confederate army. These papers will be invaluable to me and I'm very grateful that they are abstracted here. The only downside is not being able to download them/see them/purchase them right from this...
- Was this review helpful to you?
- Jewson, William Fuller, -- 1842-
- Jewson family.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army. -- South Carolina Regiment, 1st.
- Stono (Confederate steamer)
- Soldiers -- South Carolina -- Correspondence.
- Veterans -- Minnesota -- Correspondence.
- Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863 -- Anniversaries, etc.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- South Carolina -- Genealogy.