Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Norris, L. David, 1945-
William H. Emory.
Tucson : University of Arizona Press, c1998
|Named Person:||William H Emory; William H Emory|
|Material Type:||Biography, Government publication, State or province government publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
L David Norris; James C Milligan; Odie B Faulk
|ISBN:||0816519110 9780816519118 0816519129 9780816519125|
|Description:||353 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|Responsibility:||L. David Norris, James C. Milligan, and Odie B. Faulk.|
Emory worked for nine years on the new border between the United States and Mexico after the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and the Gadsden Purchase and was responsible for the survey and marking of the boundary. When the Civil War broke out, Emory refused a commission in the Confederate Army, instead commanding a regiment defending Washington, D.C.
"Exhaustively researched and engagingly written. It is an important contribution to the literature of American history, with particular interest to students of military history, the Civil War, the
- Emory, William H. -- (William Hemsley), -- 1811-1887.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Biography.
- Explorers -- Southwest, New -- Biography.
- Scientists -- Southwest, New -- Biography.
- United States. -- Army. -- Corps of Topographical Engineers -- Officials and employees -- Biography.
- Southwest, New -- Discovery and exploration.
- United States. -- Army. -- Corps of Topographical Engineers.
- Discoveries in geography.
- Southwest, New.
- United States.