Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Albert, Prince Consort consort of Victoria Queen of Great Britain; Anne Claude Philippe Caylus, comte de; Henry Cole; Jean-Louis de Cordemoy; Antoine Babuty Desgodets; Marc-Antoine Laugier; Claude Nicolas Ledoux; Carlo Lodoli, count; Joseph Paxton, Sir; Carroll L V Meeks; Claude Perrault; Gottfried Semper; Vigne de Vigny.; Vitruvius Pollio.; Richard Wagner|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Wolfgang Herrmann; Anthony Blunt; Nikolaus Pevsner; Rudolf Wittkower
|Notes:||Mss.; photocopies of mss.; printed materials; photographs.|
|Description:||14 lin. ft.|
I. Laugier research: Notes on 40 subject headings considered for the monograph, including assessments of Laugier's writing by contemporary and modern authors, bibliography, abstracts of 17th-18th century architectural books, misc. topics, ideas for writing, and summaries of contemporary publications on topics such as Greek vs. Roman architecture, Gothic architecture, evolution of the orders, and the authority of Vitruvius.
II. Perrault research: Notes on 14 subject headings considered for the monograph and 5 general subjects with the emphasis on Perrault's attempts to codify proportion and to standardize optical correction. Also, photocopies of Essais de physique (for a projected chapter on Perrault as a scientist) and notes on Carlo Lodoli.
III. Research for articles: (1) Notes on the reception of Desgodets' book on Roman architecture by the Academie Royal d'Architecture. Photographs of Desgodets' unpublished treatise on contemporary architectural design. (2) Notes on and photographs of engravings of Ledoux's work. (3) Notes and photographs for a study of the Temple of Jerusalem.
IV. Misc. research and writing: shorter articles (including ones written in German from 1926-1930), reviews, etc.
V. Dissertation: Der Hochbarocke Klostertype (233 pp. typescript with c. 150 photos and drawings of European baroque monasteries). 1924.
VI. Correspondence: Mostly letters about publications with Anthony Blunt, Caroll L. V. Meeks, Rudolf Wittkower, and others.
VII. Misc. photographs: Approx. 400 of 17th-18th century French architectural drawings and buildings, the Orders, building types, etc.
VIII. (1) Photocopies of many of the manuscripts of Semper's published and unpublished writings, notebooks, and lectures on art theory and the history of art and architecture housed in the Semper-Archiv (Zurich); arranged in rough chronological order numerically according to Herrmann's catalog of the archive ("Gottfried Semper: Theoretischer Nachlass an der ETH Zürich," 1981) (boxes 12-29). (2) A card file prepared by Herrmann, with 310 subject headings that refer to the items in section (1) above and other relevant source materials that were considered for monographs and articles on Semper's life and writings on art theory and the history of art and architecture and for editions and translations of some of Semper's unpublished works (e.g., his "Vergleichende Baulehre" and "Theorie des Formell-Schönen") (box 30). (3) Herrmann's notes under 38 subject headings for a projected chapter entitled "Semper and Natural Science" for his 1984 biography of Semper (box 31). (4) Photocopies of much of Semper's correspondence (1824-1877) contained in the Semper-Archiv and other archives (e.g., the Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nuremberg) with Herrmann's extensive transcriptions, notes, and index. The index lists approximately 295 correspondents, including members of Semper's family, his publishers, Prince Albert of Great Britain, Henry Cole, Joseph Paxton, and Richard Wagner (boxes 32-36).
(5) Photocopies and/or partial transcriptions of approximately 25 manuscripts of Semper's writings not included in Herrmann's Semper-Archiv catalog, including competitions for various architectural projects, 1840-1870 (box 37). (6) Miscellaneous materials concerning Semper: drafts of articles by Herrmann, a genealogy of Semper's family, photocopies of contemporary reviews of Semper's "Der Stil" (box 38). (7) Approximately 55 photographs of Semper's sketches and architectural drawings and portrait photographs of Semper (box 38).
- Albert, -- Prince Consort, consort of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, -- 1819-1861.
- Caylus, Anne Claude Philippe, -- comte de, -- 1692-1765.
- Cole, Henry, -- 1808-1882.
- Cordemoy, Jean-Louis de, -- approximately 1631-1713.
- Desgodets, Antoine Babuty, -- 1653-1728.
- Laugier, Marc-Antoine, -- 1711-1769.
- Ledoux, Claude Nicolas, -- 1736-1806.
- Lodoli, Carlo, -- count, -- 1690-1761.
- Paxton, Joseph, -- Sir, -- 1803-1865.
- Meeks, Carroll L. V. -- (Carroll Louis Vanderslice), -- 1907-1966.
- Perrault, Claude, -- 1613-1688.
- Semper, Gottfried, -- 1803-1879.
- Vigne de Vigny.
- Vitruvius Pollio.
- Wagner, Richard, -- 1813-1883.
- Académie d'architecture (France)
- Académie des sciences (France)
- Temple of Jerusalem (Jerusalem)
- Anatomy -- History -- 17th century.
- Architecture, Baroque.
- Architecture, Gothic.
- Architecture, Greek.
- Architecture, Roman.
- Architecture -- Orders.
- Architecture -- France -- 17th century.
- Architecture -- France -- 18th century.
- Physiology -- 17th century.
- Berlin (Germany)
- Architecture -- Composition, proportion, etc.