|提及的人：||Christina Georgina Rossetti; Elizabeth Barrett Browning; Grace Aguilar; Amy Levy; Grace Aguilar; Amy Levy; Elizabeth Barrett Browning; Christina Rossetti|
|描述：||xi, 275 p. ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||1. Introduction --
2. "Sweet singers of Israel": gendered and Jewish otherness in Victorian poetics --
3. Elizabeth Barrett Browning and the "Hebraic monster" --
4. Christina Rossetti and the Hebraic goblins of the Jewish Scriptures --
5. "Judaism rightly reverenced": Grace Aguilar's theological poetics --
6. Amy Levy and the accents of minor(ity) poetry.
|丛书名：||Cambridge studies in nineteenth-century literature and culture, 35.|
"Victorian women poets lived in a time when religion was a vital aspect of their identities. Cynthia Scheinberg examines Anglo-Jewish (Grace Aguilar and Amy Levy) and Christian (Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Christina Rossetti) women poets, and argues that there are important connections between the discourses of nineteenth-century poetry, gender and religious identity. Further, Scheinberg argues that women poets in Victorian England of both Jewish and non-Jewish backgrounds had deep interests in the Jewish scriptures, and that they often used images and texts from Judaism in their poetry. She suggests that Jewish and Christian women used poetry as a site for creative and original theological interpretation, and that they entered into dialogue through their poetry about their own and each other's religious and artistic identities. Broadly interdisciplinary, the book's methodology calls on studies in poetics, religious studies, feminist literary criticism, and little-read Anglo-Jewish primary sources."--Jacket.
- Religious poetry, English -- History and criticism.
- Christianity and literature -- England -- History -- 19th century.
- Women and literature -- England -- History -- 19th century.
- English poetry -- Jewish authors -- History and criticism.
- English poetry -- Women authors -- History and criticism.
- English poetry -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
- Rossetti, Christina Georgina, -- 1830-1894 -- Religion.
- Browning, Elizabeth Barrett, -- 1806-1861 -- Religion.
- Christian poetry, English -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
- Judaism and literature -- England -- History -- 19th century.
- Jewish women -- Great Britain -- Intellectual life.
- Aguilar, Grace, -- 1816-1847 -- Religion.
- Jewish poetry -- History and criticism.
- Levy, Amy, -- 1861-1889 -- Religion.
- Jews in literature.
- Aguilar, Grace, -- 1816-1847 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Levy, Amy, -- 1861-1889 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Browning, Elizabeth Barrett, -- 1806-1861 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Rossetti, Christina, -- 1830-1894 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Joodse boeken.
- Christliche Lyrik.