Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Benjamin Colman; Isaac Watts; John Maclaurin; John Sergeant; Elisha Paine; Eleazar Wheelock; Samson Occom; Jonathan Parsons; Matthew Griswold; Reinold Marvin; Edmund Door; Coult family.|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Joseph G Woodward; Solomon Williams; William Williams; Williams family.; Peter Coult; Elisha Coult
|Notes:||In part, photocopies of materials held by Dartmouth College.|
|Description:||5 linear ft.|
Includes correspondence, deeds, leases, receipts, and other papers of Solomon Williams, minister of First Congregational Church, Lebanon, Conn., including correspondence with Benjamin Colman, Isaac Watts, John Maclaurin, and other leading clergy of the time, and papers reflecting his activities as head of the Connecticut Board of Correspondents of the Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge and founder of the Philogrammatican Library of Lebanon in 1740; papers of other family members, including Solomon's son, William Williams, signer of the Declaration of Independence; and papers of Peter and Elisha Coult, commissary officers during the Revolution and relatives of the Coult family in Lyme, Conn. Subjects of Solomon Williams's correspondence include John Sergeant and the Stockbridge mission; the Great Awakening; Elisha Paine, a vehement preacher of the time; the founding of Philogrammatican Library; Eleazer Wheelock, Samson Occom, and their Indian schools; the workings of church courts of the period; and the Lyme church controversy involving Jonathan Parsons, Matthew Griswold, Reinold Marvin, Edmund Dorr, and others.
- Windham County (Conn.) -- History.
- Connecticut -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- Connecticut -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- Connecticut -- Church history.
- Old Lyme (Conn.) -- Church history.
- Lebanon (Conn.) -- Church history.
- Libraries -- Connecticut -- Lebanon.
- New England -- Religious life and customs.
- Indians of North America -- Education -- New England.
- Indians of North America -- Missions -- New England.
- Stockbridge Indians -- Missions.
- Ecclesiastical courts.
- Church controversies -- New England.
- Great Awakening.
- First Congregational Church (Lebanon, Conn.)
- Colman, Benjamin, -- 1673-1747 -- Correspondence.
- Watts, Isaac, -- 1674-1748 -- Correspondence.
- Maclaurin, John, -- 1693-1754 -- Correspondence.
- Society in Scotland for Propagating Christian Knowledge. -- Connecticut Board of Correspondents.
- Philogrammatican Library (Lebanon, Conn.)
- United States. -- Continental Army -- Commissariat -- History.
- United States. -- Declaration of Independence -- Signers.
- Sergeant, John, -- 1710-1749.
- Paine, Elisha.
- Wheelock, Eleazar, -- 1711-1779.
- Occom, Samson, -- 1723-1792.
- Parsons, Jonathan, -- 1705-1776.
- Griswold, Matthew, -- 1714-1799.
- Marvin, Reinold, -- 1669-1737.
- Door, Edmund.
- Old Lyme Congregational Church (Old Lyme, Conn.)
- Coult family.