Vowell, Sarah, 1969-
New York : Riverhead Books, 2008
|描述：||254 p. : map ; 22 cm.|
To this day, America views itself as a Puritan nation, but author Vowell investigates what that means--and what it should mean. What was this great political enterprise all about? Who were these people who are considered the philosophical, spiritual, and moral ancestors of our nation? What Vowell discovers is something far different from what their uptight shoe-buckles-and-corn reputation might suggest. The people she finds are highly literate, deeply principled, and surprisingly feisty. Their story is filled with pamphlet feuds, witty courtroom dramas, and bloody vengeance.--From publisher description.
- Puritans -- New England -- History -- 17th century.
- New England -- Politics and government -- To 1775.
- Religion and politics -- New England -- History -- 17th century.
- Political science.
- Religion and politics.
- New England.
- New Kings of Nonficton at Stillwater Oklahoma Public Library(122 资料)
由 ztuck 已更新 大约一个月前
- 2009 Books Read List(42 资料)
由 loenglish 已更新 2013-02-11
- History(15 资料)
由 abass 已更新 2013-01-04
- Personal Library(411 资料)
由 firstname.lastname@example.org 已更新 2012-06-05
- As seen on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Book List(231 资料)
由 zbriceno 已更新 2012-02-14