Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Carl E Van Horn
|ISBN:||9781442219656 1442219653 1442219661 9781442219663|
|Description:||xvi, 195 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||1. Working scared in America and the great recession : The "Hurricane Katrina" of recessions ; The sudden collapse and painful aftermath ; Did unemployed workers recover? ; A silent mental health epidemic ; Bitter legacies --
2. Is the American worker disposable? : What happened to the employer/employee compact? ; Four forces downsizing the American worker ; Education and training gaps ; Transforming American attitudes --
3. New American workplace realities : Declining satisfaction at work ; The work-family imbalance ; Learning at work ; An unhealthy insurance trend ; A workplace divided ; A workforce in transition --
4. Misery and bleak expectations for older unemployed workers : Last fired, never rehired ; The devastating consequences of long-term unemployment ; Ending retirement as we knew it ; What older workers need ; Not so golden years --
5. Unfulfilled expectations for recent college and high school graduates : Hit hard by the Great Recession ; More grinders than slackers ; Are high school and college graduates prepared for work? ; Does education serve the needs of employers? How much should it? ; Next-generation education reforms --
6. Unfinished business: recovering from the Great Recession : Bold actions battle the financial crisis ; A painfully slow recovery yields disappointment ; Policy gridlock ; Election-year policy and politics ; Frustration and protest ; Digging out of the ditch ; Bolster and refocus the workforce development system ; Shifting to top gear --
7. Restoring the shattered dreams of American workers : A new workforce paradigm ; Assumptions, expectations, and hopes ; Four national priorities ; Restoring balance and shared sacrifice to achieve greater prosperity --
Appendix: Work trends: Americans' attitudes about work, employers, and government, 1998-2012.
|Responsibility:||Carl E. Van Horn.|
More than two dozen surveys of the attitudes and expectations of (mostly unemployed) workers over the period 1998-2012 constitute the essence of this book by the founding director of the Center for
- Unemployment -- United States.
- Labor market -- United States.
- Recessions -- United States.
- United States -- Economic conditions -- 2009-
- United States -- Economic policy -- 2009-
- Economic history.
- Economic policy.
- Labor market.
- United States.