Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
T E Apter
|Description:||ix, 280 pages ; 22 cm|
|Contents:||Introduction: Why Women Still Don't Have Wives. Male Power versus Female Psychology. One-shot Theories --
Convincing, and Inadequate. Whose Fault? Whose Conspiracy? Systems and Circuits. Exceptional Women? Reframing: Decade-old Problems in a New Context. Beneficial Structures: Compounded Issues --
1. What Do Women Want? Women and Work. Women's Work: A Very Brief History. Protest: The First Phase. Industrial Change, or Repetition? Overtime and Overwork: Inefficiency and New Bias. Haunting Images. New Beginnings. Women, Love and Dependence. Expansion and Affiliation. Three-faced Gorgon. Choice and Consequences --
2. Why Do Women Mother? The Experience of Hope. Economics of the Family. The Reproduction of Dependency. Can Fathers 'Mother'? Role-reversal. Does Mother Know Best? Contradictions and Resistance. A Failed Compromise. Controlled Change. One Single Change? Fertility. New Visions --
3. What Do the Children Need? The Mother Knot: Tied and Tried. The Subjective and Objective Image of Motherhood. Advantage: Uncertainty. Forward, and Back Again. Expert Development. Maternal Deprivation versus Temporary Absence. Full-time Mothering: Uses versus Needs. Abandoning Women. Images of Abandonment. Popular Culture: Thermometer or Thermostat. Childhood Investments. Rigidity of Maternal Responsibility. Futures --
4. Having it All --
New Options; New Myths. Superwoman: A Child's View. Who Needs It All? Moving Goalposts. Crisis in Confidence. Discovered Options. Maternal Harassment. New Options --
but Who Pays? Options on the Horizon. Late Options. Free Options --
5. The Wage Learners: Working as Necessity. Working Mothers: Necessity Sets a Trend. Safety and Sorrow. Lessons Unlearned. Misalignments. Women as Breadwinners. Young Hearts and Hard Times. Children's Work. The Burden of Sharing. Whose Reasons? --
6. Why Women Fail. Achievement versus Ability. Becoming a Woman. Success and Punishment. Fear of Success. 'Failure' is a Nice Girl. Success Reconsidered. Victims and Agents. Systemic Examples --
7. Depression: A Female Ailment? What is Depression? Women's Illness. Mastering the Treatment. Learned Helplessness. Gaining the Self: How Much Do We Need? Domestic Depression. Depression: The Newest Models. Depressed Visions. Changing Outlooks --
8. Dressed for Success. The Managerial Woman. Unexpected Types. New Managerial Women. New Profiles. Who Constructs the Glass Ceiling? Dominant Cultures. Corporate Cultures. Marginal Managers. Patterns of Awareness. Protesting Dominance. Success in Management --
9. Looking Ahead. Divisions and Contradictions. Bleak Futures. Work Flexibility: The Challenge Defeated. Escaping the Design. Living in Time.
Uses interviews with hundreds of working women to show how they are coping with the demands of work and home life, and discusses the roles of men and women in modern society.
Retrieving notes about this item