Suche nach Bibliotheken, die diesen Titel besitzen ...
|Beschreibung:||176 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 26 cm|
|Inhalt:||Preface : Designers, meet the word --
Foreword : Designers, make your mark --
Introduction : Why I write --
1. Reading, writing & research : Reading: the key to good research and writing : What to read ; How to read ; Taking notes --
Writing: thoughts on paper or screen : Your voice : Where do ideas come from / Ellen Shapiro ; Getting ideas ; Targeting an audience ; Self-editing ; The editor's role : Phil Patton talks about how writing is edited ; Avoiding clichés ; The music of words ; Telling stories : Poster-a-day: a visual vitamin / Steven Heller ; Pitching a story : Publishing your book: getting the green light / Emily Potts --
Research: building the narrative foundation : Database research ; Library and museum research ; Primary resources : Beth Kleber talks about research ; Secondary research : Alexander Tochilovsky talks about archives ; No Google! --
2. Surveying the disciplines : Long form/short form : Akiko Busch talks about being a design user --
Journalism : Design journalism for the mass market / Alice Twemlow ; Alice Twemlow talks about covering design culture --
Business : Orn'ry usage / Ralph Caplan ; Ralph Caplan talks about writing skill --
Academic : Excepts from Alphabet and image / Kerry William Purcell ; Kerry William Purcell talks about writing history ; Linda King talks about scholarly writing --
Criticism : The death of the critic / Rick Poynor ; Rick Poynor talks about writing criticism ; Andra Lange talks about writing criticism --
Public relations : Michael Grant talks about effective publicity --
Blog : School days / Gail Anderson ; "Thank you," or why Socrates was wrong ; Art Nouveau feeder fetishist ; Sean Adams talks about blogging ; Alissa Walker talks about her favorite form of writing --
3. The editor's role : How to edit and be edited: the editor is a writer's best friend : Sue Apfelbaum talks about what an editor does ; Aaron Kenedi talks about editing a design magazine ; Aaron Kenedi's favorite Print spread ; Monumental: excerpts from Monumental: the reimagined world of Kevin O'Callaghan / Deborah Hussey ; Deborah Hussey talks about writing for books ; End of the glue-pot era: an editing process in three versions / Steven Heller --
4. Leaning from experiences : Writers discuss their writing: designers as authors/authors on design : On failure / Allan Chochivo talks about the writer's attitude ; To write about design is to care about other people / David Barringer ; David Barringer talks about respect for the reader ; The language of design imperialism / Maria Popova ; Maria Popova talks about buzzword-encrusted language ; Fanzines by Teal Triggs / Adrian Shaughnessy ; Adrian Shaughnessy talks about being personal ; Thomas Lenthal: the deejay of visual references / Veronique Vienne ; Veronique Vienne talks about her handicaps ; My annotated interview with Mike Salisbury / Michael Dooly ; Michael Dooley on discovery and skepticism --
Writing with images : The language of text and pictures: the multimedia designer/author : The nose / Seymour Chwast ; Things he has learned / Stefan Sagmeister ; 344 questions / Stephan Bucher ; "All the new that fits" / Paula Scher ; Eames words / Andrew Byrom --
Epilogue : Is anybody reading?
"This is the first handbook for those designers who write and those writers who design. ... Some of the features are: Introduction to various forms of writing and research: trade journalism, scholarly discourse, criticism, general journalism, and business-to-business capability communications. How images can be visualized through words. How to express, analyze, and report on the issues and news of design practice. Turning information into strategic assets. Using library, online, primary and secondary sources, and more. Writing for magazines, blogs, papers, lectures, journals, books--and even press releases. How design, typography, and illustration supports writing."--Back cover.
- Commercial art -- Marketing.
- Graphic arts -- Marketing.
- Business writing.
- DESIGN -- Graphic Arts -- General.
- DESIGN -- Reference.