|提及的人：||W B Yeats; W B Yeats; W B Yeats; W B Yeats; W B Yeats; W B Yeats; W B Yeats; W B Yeats; W B Yeats; W B Yeats; William B Yeats; William B Yeats|
|描述：||xiv, 346 pages : illustrations (some color), maps ; 26 cm|
|内容：||1. Yeats and Sligo --
Between Extremities --
Yeats's Family in Sligo --
John Butler Yeats --
Sligo and Landscape --
2. Yeats's Female Daimon --
Early Interest in the Occult --
Speckled Bird --
Automatic Writing Sessions --
3. Yeats and Cultural Nationalism --
Ballad Poetry of Ireland --
Case of William Allingham Re-Examined --
Standish James O'Grady, the Fenian Unionist --
John O'Leary and the Fenian Tradition --
4. Yeats and 1890s London --
William Morris --
London Clubland --
Journals and Journalism --
Celt in London --
5. Yeats and the Abbey Theatre --
In the Making --
Early Years in the Abbey --
Unpopular Theatre --
6. Yeats during the First World War --
September 1913 --
August 1914 --
Easter 1916 --
October 1917 --
7. Yeats in the 1920s --
Family Man --
Widening Gyre --
Irish Senator --
8. Yeats in the 1930s --
Lady Gregory and Coole --
Fascist Charge --
Memory and Imagination --
Last Affair in Sussex and Death in France. Appendix 1 Chronology of the Life and Times of W.B. Yeats --
Appendix 2 Dramatics Personae in Yeats's Life and Work.
|責任：||David Pierce ; with contemporary photographs by Dan Harper.|
"William Butler Yeats was Ireland's leading poet, chief architect of the Irish Literary Revival, and, according to T.S. Eliot, 'one of those few whose history is the history of their own time, who are part of the consciousness of an age which cannot be understood without them'. In this absorbing new study, David Pierce provides a fresh perspective, one that attends as much to Yeats's English contexts as his Irish ones and to the preoccupations of his art. If he was critical of British attitudes towards Ireland, Yeats was also much taken with English life, with the coterie atmosphere of the Rhymers' Club in the 1890s, with membership of the Savile Club in London, with gatherings at English country houses. For this intimate portrait of Yeats, Pierce pays particular attention to the hitherto unappreciated role of the poet's English wife, George Yeats, whose presence, influence, and humour can be felt throughout the book." "Interweaving biography, criticism and history, Pierce follows Yeats's life from his birth in Dublin in 1865 to his death in the South of France in 1939. He describes Yeats's family and home; his interest in the oral tradition, the occult and automatic writing; his literary activities in London and Dublin; his work with the Abbey Theatre and his life during the First World War; his response to the Irish War of Independence and the Civil War; his friendship wide fellow-modernist Ezra Pound; his sympathy with fascism; and his rage against old age. Enriched with a wide range of illustrative material, including specially commissioned photographs, the book affords a timely reassessment of Yeats's worlds."--Jacket.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Homes and haunts -- England.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Homes and haunts -- Ireland.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Knowledge -- England.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Knowledge -- Ireland.
- Poets, Irish -- 19th century -- Biography.
- Poets, Irish -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Irish -- England -- Biography.
- England -- Intellectual life.
- Ireland -- Intellectual life.
- England -- In literature.
- Ireland -- In literature.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Homes and haunts.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Résidences et lieux familiers -- Angleterre.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Résidences et lieux familiers -- Irlande.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Et l'Angleterre.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939 -- Et l'Irlande.
- Poètes irlandais -- 19e siècle -- Biographies.
- Poètes irlandais -- 20e siècle -- Biographies.
- Poètes irlandais -- Angleterre -- Biographies.
- Angleterre dans la littérature.
- Irlande dans la littérature.
- Angleterre -- Vie intellectuelle.
- Irlande -- Vie intellectuelle.
- Yeats, W. B. -- (William Butler), -- 1865-1939
- Intellectual life.
- Poets, Irish.
- Yeats, William B.
- English poetry.
- Yeats, William B., -- 1865-1939.