Front cover image for Porta Gregoriana al Monumento dell'Acqua Claudia ... (restoration of the Porta Maggiore), 1840, Rome

Porta Gregoriana al Monumento dell'Acqua Claudia ... (restoration of the Porta Maggiore), 1840, Rome

Account of the extensive restoration of the ancient Roman city gate now called the Porta Maggiore (called the Porta Gregoriana in this account in honor of the patron of the restoration, Pope Gregory XVI). Originally built in 52 A.D. and called the Porta Prenestina, it incorporated portions of two aqueducts, the Acqua Claudia and the Anio Novus, and since the 3rd century had been incorporated into the Arelian Walls. Plans and elevations of both sides show the condition before and after restoration. Also included are detailed illustrations of artifacts and inscriptions (including brick stamps). The illustrations were executed by Giovanni Montiroli
Archival Material, Italian, 1840