Japanese tree burial : ecology, kinship and the culture of death
eBook, English, 2014
Routledge, New York, 2014
1 online resource (xvii, 219 pages) : illustrations, maps
1. Introduction : questions for the anthropology of tree disposals
2. The birth of Japanese tree-burial : when life crisis meets environmental crisis
3. Kinship, demographic and economic matters : renouncing the ancestral grave
4. Identities, memorialization and agency : 'people's own grave'
5. Bonds, nature workshops and collective memorials
6. Ecological immortality and ideas of the afterlife
7. Conclusions : towards a liberalization of death in Japan?