Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Young adult works
Young adult fiction
|Material Type:||Fiction, Secondary (senior high) school|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Awards:||Morris Debut Award Finalist, 2012.|
|Target Audience:||490; 012-up.|
|Description:||344 pages : maps ; 22 cm|
|Contents:||Lina is a fifteen-year-old Lithuanian girl. She paints, she draws, she gets crushes on boys. She's just like any other girl. Until one night in 1941, when Soviet officers barge into her home, tearing her family from the comfortable life they've known. Separated from her father, forced onto a crowded train car, Lina, her mother, and her young brother are taken slowly north to a Siberian work camp, where they are forced to dig for beets and fight for their lives under the harshest of conditions. Stalin has deported them and is claiming their home as his own. Suffering abuse both physical and emotional, Lina finds solace in her art, meticulously --
and at a great personal risk --
documenting events by drawing. She imbeds clues in her art of their location and secretly passes them along, attempting to contact her father, hoping the drawings will eventually make their way to his prison camp. It is a long and harrowing journey, spanning years, covering 6,500 miles. Many lives were lost, but it was their incredible strength, love, and hope that allowed Lina and her brother to endure and ultimately survive.
WorldCat User Reviews (1)
universities and medical institutions
Series of running shoes with an innovative cushioning system that combines human motion engineering technology, Max Air cushioning technology, as well as compared to the traditional Shox series mobile smoother Nike Shox and Nike Zoom cushioning protection technology.Subsection...
- 0 of 1 people found this review helpful. Did it help you?
- Lithuania -- History -- Soviet occupation, 1940-1941 -- Juvenile fiction.
- Labor camps -- Fiction.
- Lithuania -- History -- Soviet occupation, 1940-1941 -- Fiction.
- Survival -- Fiction.
- Siberia (Russia) -- History -- 20th century -- Fiction.
- Soviet Union -- History -- 1925-1953 -- Fiction.
- Labor camps.
- Weibliche Jugend
- Lithuania -- History -- Fiction.
- Survivalism -- Fiction.
- Siberia (Russia) -- History -- Fiction.
- Russia -- History -- 1925-1953 -- Fiction.
User lists with this item (23)
- Children's & Young Adult Books(358 items)
by BLCLibrary updated about 2 weeks ago
- checkout fiction(128 items)
by elfgreen updated 2017-01-13
- ILA Book Awards(131 items)
by ccicchetti updated 2016-02-29
- 2015-2016 BotB Middle School(30 items)
by carteretlibraries updated 2015-08-21
- UNO-YA Coming of Age Stories(114 items)
by UNO-YA updated 2015-05-22