Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Elyn R Saks; Elyn R Saks; Elyn R Saks|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Elyn R Saks
|ISBN:||9781401301385 140130138X 9781401309442 1401309445|
|Description:||351 pages ; 22 cm|
|Other Titles:||My journey through madness|
|Responsibility:||Elyn R. Saks.|
Elyn Saks is a success by any measure: she's an endowed professor at the prestigious University of Southern California Gould School of Law. She has managed to achieve this in spite of being diagnosed as schizophrenic and given a "grave" prognosis -- and suffering the effects of her illness throughout her life. Saks was only eight, and living an otherwise idyllic childhood in sunny 1960s Miami, when her first symptoms appeared in the form of obsessions and night terrors. But it was not until she reached Oxford University as a Marshall Scholar that her first full-blown episode, complete with voices in her head and terrifying suicidal fantasies, forced her into a psychiatric hospital. Saks would later attend Yale Law School where one night, during her first term, she had a breakdown that left her singing on the roof of the law school library at midnight. She was taken to the emergency room, force-fed antipsychotic medication, and tied hand-and-foot to the cold metal of a hospital bed. She spent the next five months in a psychiatric ward. So began Saks's long war with her own internal demons and the equally powerful forces of stigma. Today she is a chaired professor of law who researches and writes about the rights of the mentally ill. She is married to a wonderful man. In The Center Cannot Hold, Elyn Saks discusses frankly and movingly the paranoia, the inability to tell imaginary fears from real ones, and the voices in her head insisting she do terrible things, as well as the many obstacles she overcame to become the woman she is today.
- Saks, Elyn R., -- 1955-
- Gould School of Law -- Faculty -- Biography.
- University of California, San Diego. -- School of Medicine -- Faculty -- Biography.
- Schizophrenics -- Biography.
- Mental illness -- Biography.
- Schizophrenia -- Case studies.
- Schizophrenics -- California -- Biography.
- College teachers -- California -- Biography.
- Mental illness.
- Schizophrenia -- Biography.
- Educators -- California -- Biography.
- Schizofrenia -- patienter -- biografi.
User lists with this item (16)
- New Materials: October-December 2016(55 items)
by dewitt-library updated 2017-01-13
- Criminal Justice(22 items)
by ricelaker updated 2016-09-20
- Claremont Fall 2014 CABs (after Jul 15)(284 items)
by HuntleyBookstore updated 2014-07-26
- To read- Theology(40 items)
by JcbLstr updated 2014-01-24
- book to read(1 items)
by kristinmesserli updated 2013-08-30