Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||383 pages ; 25 cm|
"In 1938, Ruby, Helen and Grace, three girls from very different backgrounds, find themselves competing at the same audition for showgirl roles at San Francisco's exclusive "Oriental" nightclub, the Forbidden City. Grace, an American-born Chinese girl has fled the Midwest and an abusive father. Helen is from a Chinese family who have deep roots in San Francisco's Chinatown. And, as both her friends know, Ruby is Japanese passing as Chinese. At times their differences are pronounced, but the girls grow to depend on one another in order to fulfill their individual dreams. Then, everything changes in a heartbeat with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Suddenly the government is sending innocent Japanese to internment camps under suspicion, and Ruby is one of them. But which of her friends betrayed her?"--
- Female friendship -- Fiction.
- Chinese American women -- Fiction.
- Japanese American women -- Fiction.
- Betrayal -- Fiction.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- California -- Fiction.
- Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.) -- Fiction.
- FICTION / Literary.
- FICTION / Historical.
- FICTION / Sagas.
- Amerikanisches Englisch.
- Chinese American women.
- Female friendship.
- Japanese American women.
- California -- San Francisco -- Chinatown.
User lists with this item (8)
- "P" Lamson's Newest Acquisitions in Language and Literature(444 items)
by LamsonFitz updated about 3 weeks ago
- Library Reads(112 items)
by carteretlibraries updated about a month ago
- A Summer Reading List 2015(39 items)
by cmcdowell updated 2015-05-13
- New Books - Spring 2015(58 items)
by cmcdowell updated 2015-05-05
- 2014 - New Fiction Titles (January 6- November 17)(500 items)
by nblibrary updated 2014-11-20