Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Benjamin K Sovacool
|Description:||296 S : Ill.|
|Contents:||This book provides a concise but rigorous appraisal about the future of nuclear power and the presumed nuclear renaissance. It does so by assessing the technical, economic, environmental, political, and social risks related to all aspects of the nuclear fuel cycle, from uranium mills and mines to nuclear reactors and spent fuel storage facilities. In each case, this book argues that the costs of nuclear power significantly outweigh its benefits. It concludes by calling for investments in renewable energy, combined heat and power/cogeneration/distributed generation, and energy efficiency as a better path towards an affordable, secure, and socially acceptable future. The prospect of a global nuclear renaissance could change the way that energy is produced and used the world over. Sovacool takes a hard look at who would benefit - mostly energy companies and manufacturers - and who would suffer - mostly taxpayers, those living near nuclear facilities, and electricity customers. It is a must-read for anyone even remotely concerned about a sustainable energy future, and also for those with a specific interest in modern nuclear power plants.|
- KERNENERGIE (ENERGIETECHNIK)
- ÖFFENTLICHE SICHERHEIT UND KERNENERGIE (ENERGIETECHNIK)
- KERNENERGIEPOLITIK (INNENPOLITIK)
- SZENARIEN + ZUKUNFTSMODELLE
- ZUKUNFT DER TECHNIK
- UMWELTQUALITÄT/VORHERSAGEN UND FRÜHERKENNUNG (UMWELTSCHUTZ)
- NUCLEAR ENERGY (ENERGY TECHNOLOGY)
- ÉNERGIE NUCLÉAIRE (TECHNOLOGIE ÉNERGÉTIQUE)
- NUCLEAR POWER CONTROVERSY (ENERGY TECHNOLOGY)
- SECURITÉ PUBLIQUE D'ÉNERGIE NUCLÉAIRE, DÉBATS, CRITIQUES, CONTROVERSES (TECHNOLOGIE ÉNERGÉTIQUE)
- POLITIQUE DE L'ÉNERGIE NUCLÉAIRE (POLITIQUE INTÉRIEURE)
- NUCLEAR ENERGY POLICY (INTERNAL POLITICS)
- SCENARIOS + MODELS OF THE FUTURE
- SCÉNARIOS + MODÈLES DE L'AVENIR
- AVENIR DE LA TECHNOLOGIE + TECHNOLOGIE DU FUTUR
- FUTURE TECHNOLOGY
- ENVIRONMENTAL STATE/FORECASTING, PROGNOSIS, EARLY RECOGNITION (ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION)
- PRÉVISION DE LA QUALITÉ DE L'ENVIRONNEMENT (PROTECTION DE L'ENVIRONNEMENT)
- Nuclear energy.
- Nuclear energy -- Environmental aspects.
- Nuclear industry -- Environmental aspects.
- Nuclear industry -- Forecasting.