Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||288 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||Introduction: In Search of Creativity --
1. Nurturing Creativity. How Nurturing Fosters Creativity. Encouragement from Grandparents. Musical Encouragement in Working-Class Families. Music as Family Entertainment. Growing Up with Professional Musicians. Igniting the Creative Spark --
2. The Drive to Create. The Courage to Create. The Young Outsider. Musical Rebels. Rich Inner Lives. Creativity Spawned by Loneliness. Initial Inspirations. The Intense Drive to Create. Dedicated Hard Work. Striving Against the Odds --
3. The Unconscious. The Childlike Nature of the Unconscious. The Unconscious at Work. Reaching "No Mind" The "Visionary Mode" Submitting to the Creative Urge. Tapping into the Unconscious. The Creative-Spiritual Link. A Nocturnal Glimpse of the Unconscious. "Hidden Doors" of the Psyche. The "Feel," or Unconscious Element, of Music --
4. The Collective Unconscious. Music Reflecting Our Times. The Power of Music. Following in Musical Footsteps. A Unifying Force. The Musical Message. Music as Healer-Teacher. How Music Reflects Ourselves. Musicians as Role Models. The Artist as Hero. The Heroic Element Within Us All --
5. The Peak Experience. The Transcendence of the Peak. What the Peak Means to the Artist. Reaching the Peak in the Studio. Frequency of the Peak. Creative Communion. The Link Between Artist and Audience. The Spiritual Element --
6. Chemicals and Creativity. A Change in Consciousness. The False Promise. Intoxicants as Buffers. How Drugs Become Part of the Artist's Life-style. Side Effects of Drug Use. Creating Without Drugs and Alcohol --
7. The Creative Potential. Finding One's Gift. Nurturing One's Creative Impulse. Nurturance Breeds Self-confidence. The Will to Create. The Many Faces of Creativity. Taking Chances. Expressing One's True Self. Conditions Conducive to Creating. Drawing on Emotions to Create. Creative Tricks of the Trade. Looking Within.
|Responsibility:||Jenny Boyd ; with Holly George-Warren.|